Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bugs Bugs Bugs.


So anybody that has been to Virginia in the summer months knows that we have an over abundance in bugs! Also anybody who knows me very well knows that I really do not like bugs at all. In fact some of them really freak me out.
My kids on the other hand love bugs and have no fear of them whatsoever (they get that from Jimmy). Last year Wyatt loved bugs a little too much, and didn't know quite when to stop with them. Especially worms. He would carry them around in his hand for a long, long time, and then he would get mad at them when they would no longer move.
My friend Amber did a Family Home Evening where they made bugs out of fruit. I thought that this would be a fun thing to do after teaching the kids to be nice to the bugs, ie. not pull their wings and legs off, not smash the life out of the worms etc. (Thanks for the idea Amber)
The kids loved it, and had such a fun time making their own bugs. Unfortunately it is all coming back to get me now. Every time that I see a big creepy bug in my house I calmly go and get a paper towel to dispose of it. If Wyatt is anywhere near, he always says "No mom, we have to be nice to the bugs remember". Then I end up having to softly pick the bug up with the paper towel and put it back outside, knowing dang well he will make his way right back into my house. I guess kids really teach us to practice what we preach!

7 comments:

Derek Oberg said...

Haha. I have a general "no kill" policy in effect when it comes to bugs... But there are limits. If I find a creepy-crawley in my bed or around my food, he dies. Period. But then they retaliate and hang out in your bed and cupboards even more. It's a karma sort of thing.

Johnsons said...

that's because they scream for help and all their friends come running.

Schauers Hours said...

Hi Amy! Amy Schauers forwarded your blog address to me and I have loved browsing through that past six months. Your kids are so cute! You look great as well! I hear about you from Amy now and then. Send me an email, jaredandheather@comcast.net so I can invite you to our blog. Have a great day!
Heather Schauers

Doug and Shayla said...

I'm not the hugest fan of bugs either. I really like your idea with the fruit bugs. I'll have to try that.

Kent & Beka said...

Fruit bugs- what a great mom you are! My boys love bugs as well, but luckily they don't bug me much- when the snakes start entering the picture, we may have a situation on our hands...

Team Pettijohn said...

You're funny Amy...I really like that idea of having a lesson on how to treat bugs. I'm with you, I'm not a big fan...which is suprising because I served in the Amazon where our house was full of bugs and ginormous spiders. Now I hate them again and the though of one crawling on my kid makes me crazy.

Amberly said...

Your bugs are way more creative than ours were! You're such a cute mom! Love ya!