Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Slip and Slide

Let me just start by saying that this last week was just one of those weeks. I felt like I was so snappy with my kids and hubby. There were a few days that it seemed like everything that could go wrong went wrong. I was determined that no matter what, this week would be better, so yesterday instead of doing my Monday cleaning, I took the kids to the zoo. It was a beautiful day, and there were not a lot of people there, so I just kind of let them take the lead and go where they wanted to. This was the first time that Walker was really into the animals. He loved it.
Today we had to make cookies for Wyatt's birthday treats for school. The kids helped me make them, and while Wyatt and I were rolling the dough out, it got really quiet. I went into the dining room, and McKartnee had got into the flour, and had it all over the dining room floor. When I walked in she excitedly said "Look mom, I'm doing it just like you." I tried to remember that she is just experimenting, and tried to supress the frustration that was brewing inside. I tried to quickly sweep, but we seriously had flour from one end of our little house to the other. (amid the frustration I forgot to take a picture of the mess.) I was trying to get her to help me clean it up, but we had the whole power sturggle going on, and I was starting to get frustrated, and she was getting frustrated. I stopped and thought how can I make this fun. I remembered reading about a lady doing a big slip and slide to have her kids mop the floor. I decided that this is what we were going to do. I swept really good, got a sink full of warm soapy water, and let the kids go to town. The had so much fun, and when they were all done I had them mop up the water with some towels. I don't think my floor has ever looked so clean.
I really learned today that it is all about my aproach in things. I need to try to be more creative about asking for their help instead of being so demanding all the time. That way we can all walk away from the situation so much happier. Wish me luck on this one!



Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your story how you made a conscious decision to turn the situation around. You wanted to react very negative- but you chose a positive approach and it worked.
Last week I was so snappy with my kids and everything they did "bugged". I had to choose out of it. I feel so much more love for them which helps me learn patience.
You are simply amazing! April

Brandon and Amber said...

I think I've been snappy for the past, oh....8 months or so! Last week, Amy got into the pantry and took all my spices up into her room and emptied them all over the floor. Now her room smells nice & spicy! It's really hard to make the choice to not react badly, so good job in turning something annoying into something fun!

Abby said...

Amy..you are so stinking cute! i honestly can't even imagine you getting mad, you are like the sweetest thing ever! I love that idea i'm totally gonna use that when i'm a mom! i know you are a great mom and do so much for your kids so dont' get down on yourself!! i love ya and take care!!

The Burke Family said...

Thank you Amy I needed that today! Maybe it is just the season for being snappy, because I have sure had my moments lately. You are totally right it is all in how you approach situations that make the difference. Miss ya Girl!

Doug and Shayla said...

What a great idea. It's amazing how taking a different approach can turn a situation around really quick. Thanks for the inspiration.

Team Pettijohn said...

Great Idea Amy. I find myself sometimes getting short with Hazel while she tries to (not really) help me with the baby. It's amazing how much better we both feel when I find ways to include her in the process and not get frustrated.

Angie H. said...

Amy, Brilant idea! I too get so sick of trying to get my kids to help out. I am sure it is the way I am going about it. I need to be more like you! Love ya!

Wade The Rascal said...

I'm going to hold onto this blog entry--for future reference. What a great idea. You are clearly amazing at parenting. I'm just getting started of course. I love your idea. And I'm sure it taught your kids that cleaning can be fun, something I've never thought of. Good job!